The construction crane swinging over Vue on University, a new apartment community rising near campus, is a clear sign that University City continues to grow even through the pandemic. In fact, Mecklenburg County has issued building permits for more than $125 million in new construction and renovations in University City’s central business district between June 1 and mid-September.
Here’s a glimpse at the largest projects. Please note that the dollar figures shown here don’t necessarily capture the full cost, since large projects may get multiple permits over several months.
- Tapestry University City, University City Apartments, LLC, 8235 Dave McKinney Ave. $46.5 million
2. Vue on University, Vue on University Phase 1 LLC, 9905 University City Blvd. $40.5 million
3. LIV North Tryon Station, PR 111/LIC UNCC Apartments, LP, 6820 N. Tryon St. $15.4 million
4. Lidl grocery store, 615 W. Mallard Creek Church Road, new building, $9.43 million.
5-6. The Pointe at University Place buildings E and B, CS Shoppes at University Place, LLC
- Building E, 8956 J M Keynes Drive; office, bank, medical offices; $333,600.
- Building B, 9832 J M Keynes Drive; stores, restaurant etc.; $615,400.
7. TIAA, Andrew Carnegie Blvd; multiple permits for interior renovations; $8.15 million.
8. EPRi, 1200-1300 W. WT Harris Blvd, renovations, $826,000.
9. Proximity Park, 401 McCullough Drive, interior improvements, $471,000.
10. Lowe’s, 1100 Chancellor Park Drive, upfits, additions and/or repairs, $627,000.
11. Mallard Creek Wastewater Reclamation Facility RUVI, City of Charlotte, 12400 N. Tryon St. $1.16 million