Updated Feb. 18, 2021
Charlotte City Council approved plans for six multifamily housing communities in University City at its January and February zoning meetings.
Other approved developments include a single-family community at Hucks and Browne roads; a rental facility on West WT Harris Blvd. and 145,000 square feet of commercial and retail as part of a major residential development near I-485. Here are details.
Petitions approved by City Council on Jan. 19, 2021
712 multifamily and 26 townhomes near I-85 and University City Blvd.
- Petitioner: Geystar GP II, LLC. Petition: 2020-086
- Location: 71.9 acres on south side of University City Blvd., west of Interstate I-85.
- Details: Rezoned from Research to R-12 MF (CD). Plan calls for dedicating all land in Doby Creek 100-year floodplain to county for future greenway. Development will include 12-foot shared-use path along University City Blvd.
Commercial center and 432 apartments and townhomes near I-85
- Petitioner: WSB Retail Partners, LLC. Petition: 2020-088
- Location: 58 acres on the NE side of Prosperity Church Road and South side of Johnston Oehler Road
- Details: Rezoned from MX and R-3 residential to Comercial Center and UR-2 Urban Residential, conditional. Rezoning will allow up to 300 multifamily units, 132 townhomes and up to 145,000 SF of commercial and retail. Property is Prosperity Village development area near I-485.
157 duplex, triplex or single-family attached homes on IBM Drive
- Petitioner: J.S. & Associates, Inc. Petition: 2020-102
- Location: 23.4 acres at IBM Drive and Neal Road.
- Details: Rezoned from R-8 MF conditional multifamily and R-4 single-family residential to R-8 MF conditional multifamily for up to 157 duplex, triplex or single-family attached homes. Plan calls for wider sidewalks and planting strips along Neal Road and IBM Drive, plus turn lanes into community.
63 townhomes near I-85/I-485 interchange
- Petitioner: 1124 Galloway, LLC. Petition: 2020-132
- Location: 8 acres at the end of John Adams Road at Galloway Road.
- Details: Rezoned from R-3 single-family residential to R-12 multifamily conditional for 63 townhomes with one-car garages.
Single-family residential at Hucks Road and Browne Road
- Petitioner: Red Cedar Capital Partners. Petition: 2020-139
- Location: 12.9 acres on the northwest corner of Hucks and Browne roads, adjacent to existing single-family neighborhood.
- Details: Rezoned from R-3 to R-4 single-family residential. Conventional rezoning with no site plan. R-4 zoning allows up to 4 dwellings per acre.
Industrial rezoning for rental facility on Harris Blvd.
- Petitioner: Scaffolding Solutions. Petition: 2020-136
- Location: 8.95 acres on the south side of West WT Harris Blvd. just east of Old Statesville Road.
- Details: Rezoned from I-1 light industrial to I-2 industrial, conditional, for an equipment rental business, contractor’s office and storage yard. Developer commits to maintaining landscape screening along Harris Blvd and adding east-bound right-turn lane off of Harris Blvd.
Petitions approved by City Council on Jan. 19, 2021
108 townhomes on Ridge Road near I-485
- Petitioner: M/I Homes. Petition: 2020-120
- Location: 24.7 acres on south side of Ridge Road, north of I-485.
- Details: Rezoned from R-3 single-family residential to R-8 conditional multifamily. Developer proposes to build 108 townhomes, each with a garage. Property will have connecting streets to two adjacent townhome communities, plus 12-foot multiuse path on Ridge Road.
97 townhomes on Back Creek Church Road near University City Blvd
- Petitioner: Accent Homes Carolinas, Inc. Petition: 2020-125
- Location: 12.1 acres on west side of Back Creek Church Road, just north of Back Creek.
- Details: Rezoned from R-3 single-family residential to MX-2 mixed residential. Plan will allow 97 townhomes. Frontage on Back Creek Church Road would have a 12-foot multi-use path. Developer said he is working with city on traffic improvements, including addition of right-turn and left-turn lanes into community.
167 townhomes on Rocky River Road beside Toby Creek
- Petitioner: John Clark, Jr. Petition: 2020-137
- Location: 24.4 acres on the south side of West Rocky River Road just east of Toby Creek.
- Details: Rezoned from R-3 single-family residential to R-8 conditional multifamily for up to 167 townhomes, including some affordable housing. Property is within a mile of the University City Blvd LYNX light-rail station.
Transit-oriented development rezoning near McCullough Station
- Petitioner: Shreeji Hospitality UNCC, LLC. Petition: 2020-152
- Location: 3 acres at current end of East McCullough Drive within 1,000 feet of McCullough LYNX Station.
- Details: Rezoned from O-1 conditional office to TOD-CC transit-oriented development, community center. No site plan necessary. This rezoning is in line with the University City Area Plan recommendation for property near the McCullough Drive LYNX Station. Property borders two hotels and New Hampton Presbyterian Church. City plans to extend McCullough Drive from this point to East WT Harris Boulevard. Construction is expected in 2022-23.
Mallard Creek treatment plant expansion
- Petitioner: Charlotte Water. Petition: 2020-143
- Location: 21.3 acres on south side of North Tryon Street near Meck/Cabarrus county line.
- Details: Rezoned from UR-2 urban residential, commercial, conditional to R-8 residential. Rezoning application states that Charlotte Water, which operates the nearby Mallard Creek treatment plant, will use the site for 5-6 years for temporary construction trailers and contractor parking during planned expansion of the treatment plant.