Don’t miss Charlotte’s biggest church meal, the 86th annual Mallard Creek Bar-B-Cue, this Thursday from 10 am until about dusk at 11400 Mallard Creek Road. 20,000 fans are expected to come this year for the delicious food and a heartwarming glimpse of the faith, dedication and friendships that have enriched Mallard Creek Presbyterian Church for two centuries.
The barbecue takes place at the congregation’s Mallard Creek Community Center, about a mile east of Mallard Creek Church Road. Don’t worry about finding the grounds; follow the signs and the traffic!
You can dine on the grounds (volunteers will direct you to the parking areas), or use the four drive-through lines to get food to go. Savor the amazing aroma as you wait patiently for your trip through the serving line or drive-through lines. These folks have labored for the last week to smoke, chop, stir and season your meal, with recipes that have pleased crowds for generations!
The dinner plates include authentic pork barbecue, Brunswick stew, slaw and applesauce, for $10. Also available are sandwiches with barbecue and slaw on a bun ($4) and large containers of barbecue, slaw and stew.
Mallard Creek Presbyterian Church began the barbecue in 1929 at the start of the Great Depression to help pay for new Sunday School rooms. Three pigs and a goat were enough to feed everyone at the first event. The event clearly was a success. The 2015 Bar-B-Cue follows months of planning and a full week of cooking. Organizers expect to cook 14,600 pounds of pork barbecue, prepare 2,500 gallons of Brunswick stew, shred 2 tons of coleslaw, brew 400 gallons of coffee, and entertain close to 20,000 people.
One thing that hasn’t changed from the start is the friendly spirit of the many church volunteers who make this event possible each year. Visit the event website or Facebook page and scan photos dating back 70 years or more. You’ll see the same broad smiles and even a few of the same people, though they’ve aged a bit!
Tips for enjoying the event and the meal
- Orders to pick up – Call 704-547-0323 to place orders of 50 or more.
- Traffic – Traffic near the Community House can get heavy during lunch and dinner. The lightest traffic typically is 10-11 am and 1:30-3 pm.
- Cash and credit – Master Card, VISA and cash are all accepted.
- Stay and set awhile – One of the best parts of the Mallard Creek Barbecue is sitting down at one of the many church tables both under shelters and out on the lawn. You never know who you’ll see. Just be certain that there will be lots of happy people both eatin’ and greetin’!
Mallard Creek Barbecue Menu
- Plate – Barbecue, slaw, applesauce, Brunswick stew – $10
- Sandwich – Barbecue on bun with slaw – $4
- Pound of Barbecue – $10
- Quart of Brunswick Stew – $10
- Pint of Brunswick Stew – $5
- Quart of Slaw – $4
- Pint of Slaw – $2
- Soft Drink – $1
- Coffee and water – Free if you dine on the grounds