2015 has been exceptional for University City and University City Partners, as our fresh-off-the-digital presses “2015 Annual Report” makes clear with exclamation marks! The report chronicles the opening of I-485, rapid progress on the LYNX light-rail line, strong employment growth and much more – and the critical role UCP has played to speed the transformation of Charlotte’s No. 2 employment center into the region’s New Urban Center.
University City highlights for 2014-15 include:
- I-485 – We celebrated the long-awaited I-485 Outer Belt opening through University City, a top priority for UCP Boards since our inception.
- Light rail – Construction progressed rapidly on our $1.1 billion light-rail line to Center City, on schedule to open in 2017. UCP worked with North Tryon Street businesses dealing with construction concerns and shared frequent construction updates with the public.
- Business growth – Numerous University Research Park businesses announced major expansions and new hires. Our staff worked closely with businesses and brokers seeking information on possible locations and services, affirming University City as a preferred market for business and new development.
- Live-work areas – One of the region’s premier developers completed the first phase of Crescent Alexander Village, a mixed-use community within University Research Park. The project’s location was proposed in the URP Area Plan that UCP funded and Charlotte adopted in 2010.
- Walkable urban center – A vital update to the University City Area Plan won Charlotte City Council approval this spring. UCP funded and promoted the original 2017 area plan, which provides a blueprint for creating a walkable urban community along the North Tryon Street light-rail corridor. The update revises the original plan to match the final light-rail station locations and reflects the experiences learned from development along Charlotte’s original Blue Line to south Charlotte.
- Website update – UCP recently launched its updated website. The site continues to provide a rich collection of actionable data for commercial real estate brokers and developers, while reflecting our growing role as the go-to place for community news about University City growth, events and things to do.
Check our 2015 Annual Report for more details on last year’s accomplishments and plans for 2016 – many of them focused on our coming light-rail line, UNC Charlotte (which just topped 28,000 students!), and growing our business centers. We are proud to serve Charlotte as we envision and build this great University City.
- READ / DOWNLOAD the annual report