We’ll want to celebrate when I-485 finally opens in University City, and at least one group already has plans for a party ON the new freeway – the 485 MADD Dash and Fun Bike Ride on Nov. 2.
The state expects to open the roadway in December. “Run it before you drive it!” says the event flyer. You can register now to run. Organizers also seek more sponsors, and proceeds benefit Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
Fittingly, the 485 MADD Dash is being hosted by The NC Department of Transportation and the State Employees Combined Campaign (SECC), the group that handles charitable fundraising for state employees.
- Run: The event will include 5K and 10K timed fun runs on the roadway, starting at 1 p.m. near the new interchange at Loganville Drive. Online registration is open. Cost is $25 per runner through Sept. 13; $35 after that date.
- Ride: After the runners finish, cyclists can take a Fun Ride on the new roadway, too. Cost is $5 per rider.
- Sponsor: Several area businesses are helping sponsor the event, and organizers hope to add more. Sponsorships are available for $1,500 and $2,500, with the higher level giving businesses visibility on event publicity and websites plus the right to have a booth and display a banner at the 485 MADD Dash. Lower levels of sponsorships such as event-day banners and mile markers are also available.
Want to learn more?
- Details and run registration link: http://madddash.weebly.com/
- Keep current via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/485madddash
- Sponsorship details: Patrena Hill, special events manager, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, NC state office, 919-787-6599 ext 3755 or email@example.com