Belgate shopping center – home to the only IKEA store in the Carolinas – continues to add tenants. The 156-acre retail hub at I-85’s University City Boulevard exit has construction under way for two national retailers, a hotel and a 266-unit apartment community. More is coming. Here are the details:
- Neighboring stand-alone stores for TJ Maxx (22,000 sf) and Burlington (50,000 sf) are under construction on Parcel B at IKEA and University City boulevards. The parcel also has two outparcels near the intersection, with one planned as a restaurant. Opening dates for TJ Maxx and Burlington: fall 2016.
- A Circle K convenience store is nearing completion at 7010 University City Blvd., just east of the I-85 interchange.
- Culver’s restaurant, a Midwestern restaurant chain noted for its burgers and frozen custard, has announced that it will open its first NC restaurant at 7031 University City Blvd., beside the Zaxby’s restaurant. The property sold in January. Construction is planned to start this spring or early summer.
- Sleepy’s, a specialty mattress retailer, opened in November at 7850 Tyner St. The property overlooks University City Blvd.
Construction has started on a 104-room Holiday Inn Express. Eastern Hospitality purchased the 8.7-acre site on IKEA Boulevard at University Pointe Boulevard in July 2015. The opening is planned for late this year.
Taylor/Theus Holdings has begun building a 108,000 sf, three-story ExtraSpace Storage facility on University City Boulevard near North Tryon Street. Construction cost is estimated at $7.4 million. The Charlotte Business Journal Report reported last week that the Columbia, S.C.-based developer is adding nearly 400,000 sf of self-storage space in Charlotte this year. SEE FULL ARTICLE
Davis Development has completed extensive site work for the 266-unit Sovereign at Belgate apartment community. The site straddles IKEA Boulevard near University Executive Park. Davis Development, based in Atlanta, has developed, built and managed more than 50,000 apartments in the past 20 years.
Parcels still remain to be developed in Area A (between University City Boulevard and the IKEA store, near Zaxby’s) and Area D (along the south side of IKEA Boulevard near Furniture Row). SEE BELGATE SITE PLAN
Major transportation improvements to benefit Belgate
The LYNX light-rail line and a new bridge over I-85 will soon bring significant new traffic to the Belgate center:
- LYNX Blue Line Extension – The light-rail line under construction between uptown Charlotte and UNC Charlotte is scheduled to begin operation in August 2017. The University City Boulevard transit stop on North Tryon Street at Periwinkle Hill Avenue will have a 6-story park-and-ride parking deck and direct street access to Belgate. DETAILS
- I-85 South Bridge – A two-lane bridge over I-85 and new roadway will open late this year between Belgate and University Research Park near Innovation Park. DETAILS
Belgate, a 156-acre retail center at I-85 exit 43 (University City Boulevard), is being developed by DDR Corp. of Beachwood, Ohio. Belgate encompasses 890,000 sf retail space and a dozen major stores including the 367,000 sf IKEA and 176,000 sf Walmart. LEARN MORE